Monday 4 June 2012

Us vs. Them

The idea I am circling around has to do with walls. Walls divide.

There are political bricks and mortar walls: the Berlin wall, now gone; the wall hastily going up between Israel and Palestine; the fence and other defences between the US and Mexico.
There are ideological walls: Conservatives vs. NDP; Republicans vs. Democrats; religious right vs. liberal secularists. There are psychological walls, as in 'hitting my head against a wall,' and invisible but unsurmountable walls that seem to prevent achievement. 

Walls are frightening, and create exclusive spaces. I can only contemplate walls by anticipating a way over, through, around or under. The 4 little paintings in the previous post are templates for wall/escape relationships.

I started the 'Us vs.Them' paintings in the fall of 2011. I left them for done, then returned to them in the spring of 2012. There are layers of walls and escapes -- ladders, windows, doors, tunnels -- and tomatoes vs pears. There are 4 paintings. I think I am done with 2.
24" x 22" 

22" x 22" 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment