Tuesday 5 April 2022

Katharina #9: She Joins the Red Cross

 When I started the Katharinas in early January, I was thinking about how this quiet, serene photo of a beautiful young woman was taken when difficulty was to be followed by disaster - WWl  and the Russian revolution. In the war years young Mennonite men had done alternate service as medics. The women struggled to keep everything going at home. 

When Katharina was much older -- a grandmother with grown-up grandchildren -- she knit long, long bandages. I imagine her envisioning the needs of the medics of her youth. 

With Katharina #9, I have reimagined Katharina as a Red Cross worker, helping in a way that was not open to her in her lifetime. 

My heart goes out to the people of Ukraine. 

 


A little review of the other Katharinas:


No comments:

Post a Comment