Tuesday 11 July 2023

The Wedding Suit

 A recent interaction with our storage bins delivered an opportunity I was not expecting: my husband's wedding suit. He thinks it did not fit him 6 months after the wedding. I put it on, and I am not sure if I was delighted or depressed; it fit very well. 

I have had an idea of messing around with a suit jacket for some time. I thought this would involve a thrift store find. Finding the suit in my hands was almost too easy. So, placing sentiment aside (what good was this suit to anyone at the bottom of a bin?) I got started.

It would have made very good sense to have taken a photo before I did anything, but I did not.

First step was to remove the sleeves. That whole part - shoulders, sleeve bulk - was too big. 



I bought some Briggs & Little yarn in a charcoal that matched quite closely. I could have chosen any colour, but didn't want the outcome to look like a vest with a sweater underneath. It took a few tries to get the sleeve shape right. 

I made blocking forms with the right dimensions out of towels.


 



Then it was time to move on to the embellishment. I chose a soft pink yarn - the colour does not show up well on photos - with some light green embroidery cotton. My plan was more a set of notions than a design. I did one thing, then added another until I felt I was done.















Where will I wear it? Good question. I hope to take it out into the world at least once. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment