Saturday 29 April 2023

Behind the Scenes: The Making of a Faerie House Story Book

 It is impossible to know where an idea begins. With the faerie house stories I start with an event like back-to-school or a holiday. I have made a treasure trove of small things. 


And I have a file of "supplies" I use to photoshop interior scenes.



Development of the story starts with rough story line, followed by some photos to support that story idea which becomes a storyboard.


Then I write it on the blog. The script changes as I go along and I do not need to worry about pagination.




 After that I figure out if a page can have a photo and text or if they need to be on separate pages. I do a layout plan so I know what pages will be open together. I also need to know how many pages there will be. Then I know how many signatures (collections of sheets of paper - 4 is max) there will be, and if they will have 3 or 4 sheets. 


I cannot do the layout of pages without my little numbered pages.  




For the above layout, the story board page 16 goes on the left side of the paper; and what goes on page 1 is on the left side. Pages 2 (on the left) and 15 (on the right) will be printed on the other side of the same sheet of paper. It can get confusing to keep track of, but my little dummy pages help a lot. I also don't make as many mistakes printing anymore, having had considerable practice. 

Here are the printed sheets, and the cut and folded signatures.


I make the front and back covers.


I sew the book together.


When the bottom signature is sewn on, I add the top signature and the front cover. 



The finished books.
















No comments:

Post a Comment