Tuesday, 31 May 2016


This is really truly about boxes. It may not be of general interest.

I have had the thought that if I had followed my strengths in my youth, I would have ended up in packaging. I can make a pretty good box. Some have even had features. These ones are pretty simple. The 2 big boxes, though simple in design were just plain tricky to construct. I do give kudos to Gorilla tape. It appears to be holding.   

The boxes contain the lichens, which are on their way to be exhibited at the Mennonite Heritage Centre Gallery in July and August. More about that later.

First up, the small boxes:

The smallest ones don't have sides; they completely open up. The paper bag sleeve protects the sides.

Lichen #3 is bigger and flatter. On this one I had to figure out how to keep the box closed with the least amount of fuss for the people at the gallery who have to keep track of things.

The elastics are woven through on the back so there aren't extra pieces that get separated from their purpose. 

This box is for Lichen #2 (37" in diameter).  Chloroplast comes in sheets that are 4'x8' so I could still make a box with sides. 

Here it is open. Can you see the little support in the middle of the lid to help keep everything in place?

The biggest box, for Lichen #1 (47" in diameter) required extra materials, and the principles that had worked for the other sizes, even the previous big one, did not work. I had a devil of a time keeping the lichen circle in place. 

The lid has more stabilizers because I could not secure the circle from the sides as I had the other ones. 

 This is just the side edge support to help keep the lid from caving in.

And finally, the packing. Of course it fit. I have a Honda Element otherwise known as an AUV (Art Utility Vehicle).   

Wednesday, 25 May 2016

This dress should have a name

Ta Da.
I thought this project would never be done.  All of a sudden it was time to assemble it and that did not take very long. Presenting, the dress that should have a name. Materials: used T-shirts and button craft thread.   


Front detail

Back detail

Front inside

Back inside 

That was fun. 

Monday, 23 May 2016

Post card from Carcross, Yukon

We said to ourselves, "This looks like a place from a Ted Harrison painting." 

Turns out, it is. 

Saturday, 14 May 2016

Still working.....slowly

I have now completed the skirt, front and back:

I have started to work on the bodice. Here is the front:

And the back:

Just for interest sake, I laid the bodice above the skirt, front and back. I think this might work out OK.