Monday 17 December 2012

Moving on involves revisiting "We must"


In September I posted about 2 projects: one completed We must.... and one beginning 26 x 24. Time passed, travel happened, Christmas preparations happened, but the painting with a beginning did not happen.   


Try as I might to get the vibe for the new painting, conceiving and discarding loads of ideas, I could not push it forward. I don't necessarily know when a painting action is right, there is always risk that the idea or execution will fail, but I try to avoid the ones that I know are clearly not right. So nothing happened. Finally I imposed a picket fence on the beginning painting. Then nothing. 

In doing some shifting around for Christmas, I moved We Must.... When I walked past it in its new location I knew that what was bogging down where I was trying to go was too much happening in the one before: We must ..... was too full and busy. Something was lost because too much was there. My intention when I started the frame part was to just have enough to suggest or imply it, but it was fun to do and I didn't stop until it was all there. Finally I could see that it was overwhelming the can't get around it template. Everything needed more space to breath. Here, once again is We must.....    





And here is 26 x 24, becoming: 




No comments:

Post a Comment