Wednesday 20 January 2016

Beginnings

When I begin a painting I do a lot of things that don't look like painting: I walk the dog, knit, maybe read, mull about, and clean the kitchen. There are the decisions. Is this idea worth the time and effort as well as the space it will take in the world? Is it a drawing or a painting? What will it say? Can I do it? Then more practical questions. Oil or acrylic? Why would I even consider acrylic? Include other media? White, dark or coloured background? Image in front or behind set-up? 

The answers so far. Painting or drawing? Painting. Oil or acrylic? Oil. Background? White gesso, red undercoating. Image under or over? Kinda both -- I changed the question as I worked.
1.











2.











3.


Just getting started.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment