Thursday 21 February 2019

Yarn-bomb Maple Leaf #3 - Winnipeg

I drove 15 hours by myself to and from Winnipeg in bone-chilling temperatures (-30s on the way east) to work hard. I thought that qualified Winnipeg as a leaf-bombing destination. I wanted the leaf to be seen from my daughter's new condo - the condo I helped her paint. There was a tree that was suitable - it had branches I could reach, sort of.

I went out in the quiet of the morning to hang the leaf without being observed. As luck would have it, a fellow returning with groceries proceeded to park right next to where I was struggling with the branch. When he got out of his car he asked if he could help me. I gratefully accepted. Then he wondered what the significance was. As a new Canadian he wondered if it was cultural? A ritual? I said it was yarn-bombing - a gentle aesthetic disruption. He was pleased with this. 




     

No comments:

Post a Comment