Friday 21 August 2020

Heritage Sewing: The Doiley Cards and Dress

 Earlier this year (it is hard to believe it was actually THIS year) my Mom and I were going through things in her closet and came upon a box of doilies. Neither of us knew what to do with them so we put the box back. A few weeks later I had an idea and made some cards. These were doilies my Mom had made to put on the bread & butter plates. 





I wasn't sure what they would be used for when I made them, but they were perfect as thank you cards for my Mom's HomeCare workers. 

I kept the remaining doilies when I cleared out my Mom's apartment after she died and hoped an idea would arrive that would give them another life. The idea came this week. I made my granddaughter a dress using a sturdy knit fabric and sewed the doilies on. I am hoping that she likes it and wears it often. She won't be weighed down by sentimentality, and the doilies will have more action than they thought possible.   







No comments:

Post a Comment