Monday 8 April 2024

A New Faerie House Story: Introducing Rabbit - Chapter 1

 It had been a long winter. Not a very cold one, but all the friends except Dog were  hibernating regardless. Sometimes the time hung a little heavy. Dog did try a few new things, but more about that later. 


 Dog went outside everyday. Now that spring was in the air it was more fun to check things out. There were some eager plants generating new growth under the cover of dead leaves. It would soon be time for a clean up around the faerie house. 


 On a recent warm day Dog saw something different— it looked like loose dirt piled up. It had definitely not been there the day before. 



“My goodness,” said Dog. “It is a hole!”



 Haallooooo,Dog said quietly at first from the side of the hole. Then a little louder, “Haalllooooo?”


Dog heard a small voice.


“Friend or foe?” the voice said. 


“Friend,” said Dog, hoping this would be true. Dog took the size of hole into account and knew the creature could not be very big, and besides, Dog could run fast if necessary. 




 Slowly, and with much nose twitching, a rabbit emerged from the hole. 


“Oh my, but you are a dog!” Rabbit said, looking ready to return down the hole. 


“Please, fear not,” said Dog. “This is a different kind of place.” 


“I have heard a little bit about that,” Rabbit admitted. “I wasn’t sure if it was true.”




 “First things first,” said Dog. “How can I be hospitable? Are you hungry?”


“Well, yes, a bit,” said Rabbit hesitantly. “Don’t go to any trouble.” 


“What I have is carrots, and I think they might suit you,” said Dog. 


“Carrots would be very nice, thank you,” said Rabbit.


“Excellent! Give me a moment,” said Dog heading to the house. “When you have had some sustenance you can tell me about yourself.” 




“These carrots are very nice indeed!” said Rabbit between munches. 


“We grow them here,” Dog said proudly. “Now, how did you come to be in a hole in the faerie house garden?” 


“I will need to start from the beginning,” Rabbit began, looking around at the little plot under the big tree. “It all seems magical now, though there was a long time when it was just kinda dreary. I spent a long time at the back of a drawer.  Very suddenly everything changed really fast. I was part of a clearing up and was lucky to end up at the Thrift Store, not in the garbage. I spent a little time on the store shelf, but it didn’t take long before a lady picked me up and gave me a close look over. 


   “ ‘This might be just the thing,’ she said, and explained to another person about a faerie house under a tree and the creatures who lived there. 


“I had to keep very still, but inside I was jumping and pleading to have this lady take me to that faerie house. First I was wrapped up and put in a bag. Then there was a period when I really didn’t know how this was going to turn out. Soon I was unwrapped and another lady said, ‘Oh, how lovely!’ But then I was put back in the bag again!


“During my time at the back of a drawer I had gotten used to very little happening. The most I could hope for was that the drawer would open and I could catch a bit of daylight. Now I felt on the cusp of something that I hoped would be very good. Waiting was really hard. 


“Then just yesterday I was carried outside in a pocket, there was some humming about what would be just right, and I was set down in front of the most beautiful house I had ever seen. 


   “ ‘This must be IT!’ I thought. 


“There was a little hole being started for me, and I was encouraged to finish it off. 


 “The lady said, ‘Just wait here. The others will be out soon.’ And here you are!”


“It is obvious that you are meant to be here!” said Dog. “There are others of us who have spent time in a drawer and I know I can speak for everyone: you are so welcome to join us.” 




 “Let’s go inside for a bit,” said Dog. “Hedgehog should be coming around soon, but it will take longer for Frog and the turtles, T1 and T2. Shall we call you Rabbit?”


“Please do. I haven’t been called anything before and Rabbit certainly fits.” 



Stay tuned for chapter 2. 





No comments:

Post a Comment