Wednesday 10 April 2024

Faerie House: Introducing Rabbit - Chapter 2

 Dog welcomed Rabbit into the Faerie house. Dog had not been expecting company. Dog was fairly neat on the whole, but it had been a long time since anyone else had been there. Dog glanced around quickly and tidied up some crumbs. 


  “It is a plain little house,” said Dog, looking around. “It is what happens here that is so special. Please come in and make yourself comfortable.”


Rabbit chose to sit on the floor. Dog hopped onto the chair. 



 

“Perhaps you would like to hear a little bit about us,” said Dog. “I think you said you had heard something about this place?”


“I did hear a bit from that lady in the Thrift store, but I would very much like to hear all about the faerie house and your friends. Being here makes it all so much more interesting and real,” said Rabbit.  


“OK,” said Dog, with closed eyes, thinking back to how it all began and realizing he wasn’t quite sure. “It began with Frog and me, I think. Frog was part of a collection of some kind; I was once part of a floral arrangement. That part is very foggy in my memory. The two of us were given an opportunity, and how that was I can’t recall, to live in a faerie house. It was under this tree, that I remember, and very rustic. Hedgehog came to us there from a different lady’s collection. Hedgehog does not talk about it much, but I believe Hedgehog also lived in a drawer. The three of us had a merry time together. 


“After a while the old house started to fall apart. The next thing we knew, we had this wonderful strong, warm house. Sometime after that the turtles arrived. They came together but you could not find 2 turtles with more different personalities. We call them T1 and T2.  


“Frog has been the cook from the start. I really miss Frog’s cooking during the winter, let me tell you! Frog can be impatient sometimes, but the funny thing is, Frog really works at overcoming those feelings. The best example of that is how Frog has taken T2 under a wing, so to speak. When T2 arrived we all had the impression that T2 was not very dependable. T2 certainly knew how to evade work. But Frog managed to get T2 to help in the kitchen. Surprisingly, T2 liked it.  T2 quickly gained some confidence and got more helpful. Now T2 takes the lead on some menus and Frog loves that.  


“Hedgehog is the dearest creature. Not really an innovator, Hedgehog is always there to help out. I depend on Hedgehog to help me think things through. I can sometimes let my ideas run ahead of me. Hedgehog will be wondering what I have ordered on-line over the winter. You just wait and see!


“T1 is a quiet and mighty organizer. Last year T1 planned a big Eid event for the end of Ramadan. None of us knew anything about Eid, but T1 did the research, ordered some things, and had us all cooking and decorating. We learned a lot. 


“I have left the most important part until last and it is the hardest to explain. This is a faerie house, but we don’t ever actually see faeries. We know they are here because they do things. Faerie magic can only happen if everyone is thinking loving thoughts. We often wait for what the faeries will do when we have celebrated some kind of special day. They make something beautiful with colour or lights, then we all of a sudden have very full, joyous hearts. You will be amazed when that happens to you, and it will.” 


Rabbit sat listening, amazed. 


“I feel so lucky to find myself here,” Rabbit said. “And I really look forward to meeting the others.”


“If the days continue to be warm, Hedgehog will be up soon. Amphibians and reptiles need it even warmer. Frosts at night are dangerous for them. But sometimes Frog, T1 and T2 can be up a bit early because they can be inside the house. As a non-hibernater ,” explained Dog, “I don’t exactly know what gets them up.”  


Rabbit looked around and saw an accordion. 


“Is that accordion yours?” asked Rabbit.


“Ah,” said Dog, “That is my winter purchase. I need to do something while everyone is hibernating! I have been practising every day and I have one song that is passable. Do you play an instrument?” 


“Not exactly,” said Rabbit, “But I am very good at keeping time with my percussive hind feet.” 

Rabbit gave a sample of managing a steady rhythm by stamping a foot.



 

“Marvellous!” exclaimed Dog. “Let me play my tune for you. Join in! I have never played with another musician so please forgive my fluffs.” 


Dog and Rabbit rehearsed together for the next hour, getting more enthusiastic as they went along. They were really rocking their tunes. Eventually they were exhausted; Dog put down the accordion and Rabbit’s feet rested. 



One more chapter to go. 







1 comment:

  1. Waiting with bated breath for the last chapter. We hope there might be more in the future.

    ReplyDelete